Sunday, July 16, 2017

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 16July2017

The Tommies let Warren know that they weren't going to be on The Corner this Sunday, but Warren had a concert to go to so I went down alone. Unfortunately, two other guys had snagged The Corner. I asked them how long they were going to be there, and went down the street to wait them out.

Much less traffic down there, but kind of pleasant, and much quieter being away from PCH. After the proscribed "couple of hours" I went back to The Corner and they finished up a few songs and politely relinquished it to me, just as Warren showed up.

So a short night (8-10:15), but a nice one. The sound seemed unusually good, and my voice was strong with a good range. We did have some issues with homeless guys -- Way-Gone Gordon was parked in the middle of the bench, gesturing and arguing with the voices in his head. Fortunately, he does it quietly, so he's not too scary. Later on a guy was across the street yelling "Why you?!?" at, his shoes, I think, over and over in a loop until it sounded more like a European ambulance than actual words.

A teenage girl ("Frankie") came by looked at my list, and asked if she could sing "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid" with me. I said sure, and gave her the toy kids' "microphone". But after a few verses, I could hear that she knew what she was doing, so I stopped the song and put my head mic on her. She did great.

Other than that, we had plenty of nice people to play for, and the usual stream of not-interested bar-hoppers, beach people, and those girls who are so tall and willowy that they clearly grew up on a planet with lesser gravity than ours...

No comments: