Friday, July 06, 2012

Keith (and Warren!) at Laguna Art Walk -- 05July2012

Susie had another friend's band in her "Twig" shop this time, so I decided to go see what Art Walk looks like downtown. Coincidentally, Jim was out of town, so Warren (and the traditional Jim & Warren setup spot at Greeter's Corner) was available. I wasn't sure I'd be brave enough to set up there on the "Main Stage", nor brave enough to fire up my clandestine amp rig in so public a spot, but I was determined to try -- and when I got there at 4:45, there was no one else playing at all, so I really didn't have any excuse.

This was the same spot that I had played at with Warren the very first time I went down there. And at which we got busted for using amplifiers when the kid working in the ice cream store that we're right in front of called the cops to get rid of us so he could crank his indie-rock radio station. I've been paranoid about amp use ever since.

So I got set up and started playing, and a nice man was sitting on the bench, listening and clapping, right away. After a few songs, he said, "You could play louder!", but I explained that I wasn't technically allowed to have an amp at all. He said, "But the people like it", and I said, "That may be so, but the cops don't". He said that the cops don't really come by, and I said, "Even so...".

He got up and said, "Well, if you need any water or ice cream, let me know", and wandered back into the ice cream shop, since (it turns out), he's the owner. Talk about irony! The owner of the shop I'm most afraid of bothering, asking me to turn it up...

And I kind of did. As the foot and car traffic got louder, I had to gradually turn it up to compensate. (And then as it tapered off toward the end, I never did turn it back down, and seemed pretty brazenly loud by 10:00.) Around 10:30, my battery pack gave up, and my feet, back, and fingers weren't far behind, so the concert was suddenly over. As we were packing up, the two cars and an ATV full of cops screamed up, lights flashing, and were rousting some kid for something. I asked Warren, "Was he using an amp?"

Lots and lots of traffic, but most folks seem to be on their way somewhere, and loathe to stop, even when they exclaim, "I love this song!" or start singing along as they speed by. That's kind of frustrating. But some people stop and listen, and it's kind of fun trying to find the formula that'll stop more of them. I'm actually finding that it's the nostalgic "crooners": "Over the Rainbow", "Homeward Bound", "You've Got a Friend", etc. that work the best.

Early on, the young families are out, and when I spotted the little girl with the Little Mermaid sweatshirt, I fired up "Part of Your World", to much delight. And one dad asked for "Rainbow Connection", but his little girl was more interested in how the guitar works than the song itself. I crouched down, mid-song, so she could get a closer look, and she interjected a well-timed strummed-chord flourish while I was fingerpicking further back.

But mostly we were overshadowed by the bluegrass kid who had a standup bass player with him and set up on the opposite corner. They sounded *really* good, and were novel and exciting, and pretty much stole our thunder, and rightly so. If I hadn't'a been playing myself, I'd'a been over there listening, too.

We cleared $58 anyway, which is a new street-playing record, and pretty good considering the lower-than-expected turnout due to the gloomy weather, and the bluegrass distraction. And it was fun, and a good confidence-builder for me to play with the amp for 5 hours without getting busted once.

And, after we packed up, street-regular Peter fired up Steven's guitar for an impromptu Neil Young jam, with the motley crew of Laguna People that was still around so late. I don't do/know a lot of his songs, but I joined in with the ones I do, and faked the ones I don't. I learned that when looney-tunes people (like "Wiggles-Like-A-Glowworm" Sara) decide that they know the lyrics better than you, you'd best just let 'em have it their way.

But it was a School Night after all, so at 11:00 I was very glad that I'd paid the two bucks for the parking meter two blocks away at sea level, and went home.

No comments: