Thursday, July 05, 2012

Keith at Laguna Beach -- 04July2012

They were predicting 100,000 people to turn out for the 4th of July fireworks, but the gloomy weather stunted that number. But I went down anyway, hoping it might burn off.

So I got there at 2:00, very early, for fear of the traffic and parking. Traffic wasn't bad, but I did end up parked at a new record height up the hill. At this rate, after a few more gigs I'll be hiking in from a parking spot somewhere in Long Beach...

So early, nobody else was playing on the street, so I set up in Acoustic Alley and played without the amp at first, but I got brave enough after a while and got much better responses with a little volume and harmony. Still, the afternoon crowd seems to always have somewhere to get to, and a lot of people rush on by. Except the group of 8 or 10 teens who happened to be going through the corridor when I hit the "Na na" ending of "Hey Jude" and loudly joined in.

So around 5:00 I thought I'd go find some dinner, and play some more later. But I got roped in by Steven, who was playing at Greeter's Corner. I finally had my clip-on tuner, so I was able to down-tune a half-step to match his guitar, and play along much better.

Unfortunately, he sings higher than I do, so I could play along, but my trying to add on some vocal harmony to his songs was pretty tough. And he's much younger than me, so we don't have much overlap of songs we know -- except Beatles. But even there, since he strums, he does stuff like "Hold Your Hand" and "Day Tripper", while I do "If I Fell, "Let It Be", and "In My Life".

But it was fun anyway, trying to keep up and add something useful, although he wasn't making much headway with the (far larger) throng passing by, either. It's hard to explain, but he seems to be "just playing", and people don't stop to listen the way that they do for me. I think I sound more like a "performance" and less like "just songs". Or something.

Anyway, I hung out with him for a while, but it wasn't really working so I left to test out some other location options. I set up at the weird green spiral art-bench, and didn't really expect much -- I was just trying the spot out. But although the crowd was much thinner, many more of them slowed down or stopped to listen (and tip). It was weird. And nice.

But tomorrow was a work day, so I gave up at 8:30, after a group of young girls with patriotic paint on their cheeks stopped to help me sing Taylor Swift's "Mean" while a mom took a dozen pictures. That's always fun. I meant to try to snag some of the massive exodus after the fireworks, but they weren't scheduled to even start until 9:30, so I gave up on that plan.

There was a surprising $27 in the jar when I got home, and five English pennies, for some reason. Back again tomorrow night for Art Walk!

No comments: