Sunday, March 10, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- 10Mar2013

I thought I'd go down and see if there was any "nice weather" traffic out on a sunny Sunday, and there was. I was a little paranoid about getting busted again, presuming that, if it was the same Beach Patrol guy and he recognized me, I'd get a ticket instead of a warning this time. So I contemplated just going acoustic, if the reverb-y Alley was free, but brought the amp anyway in case Tom wasn't out on The Corner and I got tempted into risking it.

But when I got there (after a half-hour in a traffic jam caused by the Edison people stringing new power lines down Laguna Canyon Road), I discovered that I'd forgotten to bring the little rechargeable battery pack that powers the harmony box, and the wireless mic and guitar receivers. So I was stuck with an all-acoustic afternoon whether I wanted it or not.

Fortunately, the Alley *was* miraculously free, so I set up there and Warren appeared minutes later. It sounded OK, and I could hear myself pretty well, but nobody, and I mean nobody, even slowed down to listen. It was frustrating, but I was about to make it worse.

Tom was down on The Corner, so we couldn't have played there even if I had had the right equipment, but around 4:30 he came by us, leaving. I decided, since this wasn't working anyway, to go try playing acoustic down there (as I had last weekend after the "bust"), but Warren was due at home so he left.

Which was good for him, 'cuz it was *terrible*. It seemed much more noisy than it had last weekend, and I felt completely inaudible. I played my loudest songs, but was completely ignored. I kept trying, slamming away, but mercifully I was stopped when my parking meter time was up, and I went home depressed.

I guess the only good thing was that, in the whole three hours, I never saw that (or any) Beach Patrol, so I'm feeling a little safer to go down next weekend with the amp and all -- and hopefully, the battery to make it work...

No comments: