Saturday, March 23, 2013

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 23Mar2013

An unprecedented two Saturdays in a row! Not as cold as last week, or maybe it was just because I was clever enough to wear an extra shirt this time. When I first got there, there were lots of families hanging out around the fountain, but as soon as I started playing, they all disappeared. Was it something I said?

Anyway, it was the usual thing of hardly anybody interested at first, but more and more people stopping to listen as the night went on. At one point I had two little girls out dancing, so I said that I would play a real dance song ("Mister Postman"), and did they know how to do the Mashed Potato? The parents laughed at the question, but I showed them how -- just pick up your heel and "mash" with your toes. The bigger girl (5-ish) just stared at me, but her little sister was game, but was doing it exactly backwards, toes lifted, and twisting on her heel. Close enough (and very cute)!

The last hour was great, with lots of couples sitting and listening, so I stayed until 11:00. I didn't notice it happening, but I was selling a lot of CDs -- 14 of 'em. I sold completely out of the 8 "Favorites" CDs (where usually I only sell one or two). Now I'm gonna have to burn another big batch, but I guess that contributed to the near-record $172 in the jar, so no problem!

No comments: