Friday, March 22, 2013

Keith in Laguna Beach -- 22Mar2013

Friday was a blast last week, so I went again -- it's clearly a better deal than Tuesday, at least until summer.

And it went pretty well, though no Woo Girls this time. I got The Corner at least, and no sign of Tom. April appeared in The Alley after a while, and I could hear her between my songs, beltin' her 40's and 50's torch songs out.

Lots of folks up from Mexico, wanting to take pictures of or with the funny guy in the hat. And one guy who insisted, through his teenaged son translator, that I play "Hallelujah" twice in a row, since he had missed the first verse with his video the first time around. But he bought a CD, and added two more bucks "for the music", so I obliged. I came home with $57 total for the night.

Late in the evening, a guy set up down the street a little way, with an amplified Ovation, slamming away in an open tuning and way too loud with too much treble, sounding as much like a washboard as a guitar. It was an interesting racket from where I stood, but after I shut down and packed up, I walked over to hear what he was doing for real, and it was a *bit* more musical up close, though still some pretty strange stuff -- just slammy-rhythmic guitar with no vocals. He also had this intense glare, like "I double dare ya", on all the time. I don't think that that's the best way to clean up on tips, buddy, but, you know, to each his own...

No comments: