Saturday, June 14, 2014

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 14June2014

Terrific weather, lots of people out, and we did really great. Played from 5:00 until 11:00, the whole time with people listening and requesting songs and having fun -- even dancing. It seems like every time I have a terrible night, the next one is that much better to restore my faith in this job.

Lots of families with kids out, so we played "Let It Go" a lot, frequently followed by "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?", and this time I played "For the First Time in Forever" a lot better. Unfortunately, it's not a song that people remember well from the movie, so I'll have to hold it back for the really dedicated Frozen fans.

At one point three little kids were on the bench with their grandma, eating their ice cream and ignoring me. I started up "Let It Go", and the look on those three little faces as they recognized the song was heart melting. Worth all the trouble, right there.

A crazy blonde lady came by, very enthusiastic, dancing, interacting with the other people. She had some kind of outrageous accent, so I asked her where she was from. She came up and whispered in my ear, "Poland". I'm not sure why, and from whom, that's a secret...

My sweet little superfan lady (she calls me "Mr. Comer") and her husband came by again. She already has the main "Favorites" CD, but asked me if I had any others. I told her about the other two, but that I didn't have any with me. I've put some in the bag for the next time she comes.

I've updated the request list, removing some songs that never get requested, and adding some newer ones or songs that I think are getting strong enough to deserve a spot in the top 100. It only took two or three songs before someone noticed the addition of "Bridge Over Troubled Water", which I've known for a long time, but couldn't risk putting on the list 'cuz it's really high and I couldn't sing it if someone asked for it too early in the night. But my voice has moved up a bit, and now I think I can get away with it any time these days. And it's a real crowd pleaser, and tends to attract the attention of people walking by. It got requested three times, overall.

The new sign continues to sell lots of CDs -- eight this time. I'm going to have to start bringing more inventory to these gigs. One lady said, incredulously, "You're only asking five dollars for the CDs?" I said, "Well, you can put more in if you want to. I won't look!"


1 comment:

Warren Allen said...

Good answer!