Friday, June 13, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Friday, 13June2014

Sanchez was acceptably-volumed for the first part of the evening, but there was almost nobody out. When the galley closed and the foot traffic went up, he not only got louder, he went back to his car and fetched a roller cart with a full-on concert rig -- two big speakers, amp, mic and stand (though I don't know for what, since he never sings), and more effects than usual, I think. I don't know where he was getting the power -- my best theory is a car battery and inverter.

So, about 8:30 he was louder than he'd ever been. Way louder. I tried to keep going, but it was futile. A lady came by and leaned over and said, "That guy is too loud and annoying. You should do something." All I could say was "I wish I could."

After a few songs, and since it was a dead night anyway, and I just conceded defeat and went home. I guess I'll just have to abandon Friday nights if he's gonna just go nuclear like that.

The bike cop came by twice, once before Sanchez got the big amp out, and once after. He just hung around, but didn't talk to either of us, either time. Notably, the second time, Sanchez finished the "song" he was working on and got real "busy" with tending the wires and other stuff so as to not be playing while the cop was there. I guess, without any complaints, the cop couldn't/woudn't do anything.

Even more annoyingly: As I was putting my stuff in the van, the cop rode up and all friendly-like said, "How's it going?" I said, "I'm giving up -- that other guy is too loud." No response to that. Instead, he wanted to talk about the $5 CD sign, and whether or not that was a "donation". I said, yes it was, and he took that as OK, despite there being nothing on the sign to that effect. Weird.

But, really, my $5 CD sign is what's bothering you, not Hearing-Damage loud guy?!?

No comments: