Friday, May 20, 2016

Keith at Uncorked -- Friday, 20May2016

Mysteriously low turnout this time. One of the bar guys said that it was because it was "Graduation Weekend". Even the owner, Romy, wasn't there for the first time, and she was, indeed, at her daughter's graduation in D.C., so maybe he was right.

So anyway, slow, and quiet. My regular guest star Heather showed up, as she always does, and sang "You've Got a Friend" again. Fortunately, I'd remembered to Google the vocal ranges, and asked her if she'd ever been in a choir, and if so, what part did she sing. It was "Second Soprano", which pretty much corresponds to Baritone (me), but an exact octave higher. So we did "Stardust", but this time I just played it in my key instead of foolishly trying to capo up to find her key, and it worked just fine.

I did have a lady at the middle table who up and decided that I was great and that everybody should be joining in -- my sentiments exactly. So she was out there cheerleadering for me, getting people at other tables to find their favorites on the request lists, and loudly clapping at the end of the songs. Thanks, lady! Come back any time!

But by 9:30 the place was empty and the manager "called it", and I went home. Disappointing, but still better than sitting home and watching TV.

No comments: