Saturday, May 21, 2016

Keith in Dana Point -- Saturday/Sunday, 21/22May2016

On Saturday I was afraid that I'd be shut out from The Corner in Laguna, despite it being "our turn", so I thought I'd put in at least a little time in Dana Point, just in case.

I also wanted to see how the attendance would be earlier in the day, so on Saturday, I started at 10 and played until noon (to not overdo it, in case Laguna *did* pan out). And it was just as nice as the noon to 4:00 shifts I've been doing, so that's good to know.

I was in the middle of "Hallelujah" when a tiny ancient Latina gramma came around, looking in the trashcans for recyclables. She decided that the song was "religious", and came over to reiterate "Hallelujah" and then "God bless you", and to reach out to grasp my right hand. Which was sweet, but pretty much shut down my ability to fingerpick for a few seconds there...

As always, lots of great looking and cute dogs came through. Unfortunately, most of them disappear before I have a chance to take a picture, but I did catch this very cute long-haired Dachshund with a "puppy cut".

A guy looked through the song list and finally called out something I'd never heard before: "There's not enough 'Boston' on this list!" By a weird coincidence, I'd just earlier in the week played through "More Than a Feeling", in hopes to make something of it (but, no, probably not). I love the guitar part, though, and remembered it well enough to hammer it out for a while, without the vocal, but the guy apparently found that to be Better Than Nothing, at least.

A lady came up to put some money in the jar and she picked up a card and asked me how much I charge for a "private event". I told her and she said she'd be calling me. And later, another lady came up and asked if I played weddings, and for how much. I told her, and she also said she'd be calling, 'cuz "We're engaged!", indicating her boyfriend. People seldom actually do call, but if they do, I just hope neither of them is in, like, Riverside, or Palm Springs, or you know, Utah or someplace.

No comments: