Thursday, September 06, 2012

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 04Sept2012

Well, it's after Labor Day, school has started, the tourists have all gone home, and Laguna Beach is a ghost town. Mostly. We did have some nice people come by, and local resident "Mad Patty" (as Warren calls her) was there most of the night. She's a sweetie, and fun to play for. She tried all night to get up and leave, but I kept playing songs that she couldn't resist, and kept her there until we all decided we'd had enough at 9:30.

I don't normally take my iPad songbook to Laguna, because I'm right there on the sidewalk and I don't want someone to bump into the music stand and break it, or to have someone just decide to snatch it and run (like the famous Top Hat incident).

So I've been using a printed version, with far fewer songs in it. But now that it's (much) less crowded and crazy, I brought the iPad along, just in case. Which proved prescient, because I was able to play "Billie Jean" for someone (poorly remembered and badly, but whatever), and to satisfy Patty's thirst for Cat Stevens songs with "Sad Lisa" and "Trouble", beyond the two that are in the paper version of the Book.

Tips, at $30, were less than half of the same night last week, but as I keep saying: if I was there for the money, I wouldn't be there.

No comments: