Friday, September 21, 2012

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- 14Sept2012

For some reason, they put the stage up at the opposite end of the fountain. It didn't make much difference, except a change of scenery for me as I stood there staring at Oakley instead of Old Navy. But the cool part was when the maintenance guys came to turn the fountain down, they opened up a trapdoor right there in the sidewalk, and went down a ladder to the tunnels that are apparently beneath the whole shopping center. The fountain's "volume" is definitely not on a timer, but the fact that the valve is underground explains why it comes up at random, whether I'm playing or not -- they just don't know what's happening up above. So they turn it back up to full volume when they assume I must be done, and shut it off at 11 before they go home.

Anyway, it went pretty well for the hottest Friday on record. I didn't expect anybody to come out in such heat, but it wasn't really that bad after the sun went down, and there were plenty of people. I had several little kids, but never enough at once to get a dance party started. One cute little girl who stayed a long time, and dragged her mom back later on for seconds, had only one dance step -- straight up and down pogo bouncing -- for any and every song.

I sold lots of CDs at the new fixed $5 price (for a total of $127 in the jar), and managed to give out some bubbles and lights. I even got rid of one of the not-coveted white fingerlights by giving it to a kid in a play SWAT outfit, and telling him that this would help him fight crime. He proceeded to thoroughly investigate the various planter boxes, turning up nothing suspicious, so I guess we can all sleep soundly.

No comments: