Friday, September 21, 2012

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 18Sept2012

I keep thinking that the traffic down in Laguna will be so thin that it won't be worth going down there, eventually. But we had fun last week, so I agreed to go again. And it was pretty desolate, but that gave us the chance to play some of the fun but obscure ones, and try out some new stuff that's not ready for an audience yet. So that was fun.

And some people do come by, and I noticed a couple of fivers getting dropped in the jar, so I figured it was at least gonna pay back the gas and parking meter money...

I noticed this tall lady watching from across the street with her teen-age daughter. She kind of smiled and waved at the end of the song, and walked on. Later on, they were on our side of the street, but up the sidewalk a ways. And later still, they finally came over, and I pulled out my most popular tune, "Over the Rainbow". They clearly loved it, and it was an inadvertent bull's eye 'cuz the mom told us that the daughter had sung that song in a fifth-grade talent show. And the daughter said that she hears that song a lot in the Hawaiian BBQ place where she works. The mom wanted to take a picture of us with the daughter, which we did, and she wanted to know our names, and shook our hands and left something in the jar before leaving. Sweet.

We played some more, and I decided that I was warmed up enough to chance "Piano Man" again, and it went quite well this time. I'm not sure anybody could hear the low notes, but I was at least not screaming on the high ones.

Around 8:30 there was nobody left in sight except the homeless guys, so I decided to break off "early" (only 3.5 hours) for once. Counting the tips on site so I could split the take with Warren, I found 4 ones, 4 fives, and - What the heck?!? - a *fifty*, right there on top. I'm pretty sure it was from that tall lady, and I guess that makes us professional photography models, 'cuz it surely couldn't have been for that one song...

No comments: