Friday, September 14, 2012

K&W at Laguna Beach -- 11Sept2012

Last Tuesday went better than expected, despite the end of Summer, so I figured I'd give it another try. It was pretty dead, but fun anyway, due to the eventual arrival of Silly Patty, who is about my age, and therefore loves all the same songs as I do, and appreciates my versions of them. And it only takes one appreciative listener to bring out the best in me, which brings in other people as they pass, too.

People sometimes ask me to play some Billy Joel, or specifically for "Piano Man", which is the same thing. I usually say, "Does this *look* like a piano?!?", but mainly I don't play it because I've tried before, and it's really hard to sing, due to the incredibly wide range it requires (because half of it is sung quite low, and the rest is up a whole octave from there).

But my voice is getting stronger and higher after all this exercise it's getting, so I took another stab at it, and found a way to play it on guitar that works for me, and transposed it to center on my presumed "well warmed-up" range. I meant to try it out on Saturday, but I put it off over and over until I just never got to it. This time I just made myself play it, and, well, I definitely played it. The low parts were definitely low, but maybe the mic helped pick up those notes. And I was able to sing the high parts, but I sure felt like I was screaming more than singing.

But, during the song, several people stopped in their tracks to listen. I'm just not sure if they stopped because it was great, or because it was a train wreck...

1 comment:

Warren Allen said...

I had a great time...and was stunned and delighted to hear 'Mother Goose'! Shall we hit it again this Tuesday...?