Friday, July 26, 2013

Keith at the Sawdust Festival -- Friday, 26July2013

This was my second Sawdust date, this time at the "Grill" stage, which is a tiny little deck built into the corner next to the Greek restaurant in the south corner. The good part is that you have a built-in audience of people having dinner there. And, since there are 12 tables with 4 chairs each, you can potentially have 48 people as an audience -- assuming you're not chasing people away...

And I did, almost always, have a full house, though I suppose most of them showed up for the food. But, I did notice that almost no one left before my set was over, even after they'd finished eating. So I guess they came for the food, but stayed for the music. On the other hand, the ones standing around out behind the tables weren't eating, so...

It was really quite pleasant. Quiet, good sound, friendly people out for some entertainment. And chairs. Very important, those chairs.

I put song lists out on the tables, and got lots of requests. Indeed, the only problem was that half-hour on, half-hour off schedule, which seems like about 5 songs, and it was disappointing when someone would ask for a kind of lame one. I always wanted to maximize these short little sets with by best stuff.

But I guess people were liking what they heard, lame ones or not, 'cuz I made $93 in tips. Lots of "big money" in the jar, too -- 9 fives and 2 tens, despite nobody buying a CD. I guess people who can afford to pay $12 for a pita have more disposable income than I'm used to.





3 comments:

Warren Allen said...

Success...!

...and you said no complaints about volume level... if I recall correctly...

Keith said...

Nope -- I'm very very careful about that (and being punctual about the On/Off schedule, too). I was way quieter than the blues/soul band on the main stage, who, by my reading of the contract, was *way* over the line.

Warren Allen said...

It seems that artists (one in particular) near the Greek Cafe are particularly volume-sensitive, so you probably were quite quiet, relatively.