Tuesday, July 02, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Tuesday, 02July2013

It seems strange that we're having way better luck on these Tuesdays than on the weekend nights. I guess for vacationers, it's all the same, but on weekends, it's nearly impossible to get on the ice cream corner, or sometimes even to get one of the fallback locations. There's a bit less traffic on weeknights, but the people seem a bit less frantic, and more willing to hang out and listen to the guy in the funny hat for a while.

We went down at 7:30, and found *nobody* on any of the spots. So we had the ice cream corner, and the audio space, all to ourselves, all night. There was a group that was asking for country/cowboy songs, which I have a few of. When I asked where they were from, expecting something like "Texas", it turned out they were from Rancho Cucamonga, just a couple of hours away. But maybe they're cowboys out there..?

Later on, we had a group of 4 Asian couples. I couldn't hear them talking to one another, so I finally asked where they were from. I was relieved to hear it was Korea and not Japan, 'cuz if they were Japanese, I'd'a felt obliged to try to sing "Sukiyaki", but I've only got it 3/4 learned, and I'm not sure it would have gone well.

Anyway, we had people listening pretty solid all evening, and I started up a Kids' Dance Party when a family of 5 or 6 blonde kids came by. The 10-year-old had clearly had some lessons, 'cuz she was executing some impressive moves.

We pulled in $77, and sold 3 CDs -- one to a guy who complained that he had to make his own change for a twenty out of the jar. I told him he didn't *have* to make change...

After we'd packed up, as I was sitting on the bench counting the money so I could split it with Warren, some high school girls came up, and one of them told me that she was getting married tomorrow (which I doubted, but I played along anyway), and did I have any marriage advice. I thought about it for a while, and told to just be sure to marry your best friend. She wrote that down in her little note/autograph book next to her description of me ("Top hat musician"), and had me sign it. I wonder what that was *really* about...

No comments: