Saturday, March 29, 2014

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 29Mar2014

I was feeling really up for it, so I went down at :30 to make sure to get The Corner on a Saturday night in Spring Break. Lots of people out and lots of activity down by the beach, and more kids than usual. I ended up playing "Let It Go" five times.

We had a pretty constant stream of friendly people, including a batch from Liverpool who danced and unsurprisingly asked for some Beatle songs, enthusiastically joining in on the na-nas at the end of "Hey Jude".

It finally tapered off to nothing at 10:30 (a six hour shift!), and we were sitting on the bench talking about our mutual misfortune earlier in the week in the lay-off department. I was holding my guitar, since I don't bring the case from the car 'cuz there's nowhere to store it, when four guys came up who apparently spoke no English at all came up. One guy asked me if I "Haben zie Blues?", so I fired up my blues tune (barely audible without the amp) and Warren dug out a harmonica, and we played for a while. The guy was apparently at least a little impressed, 'cuz he handed me two bucks and they all called out (presumably) nice things in German as they left.

I think that the unpredictability is what makes this hobby so compelling...


3 comments:

Warren Allen said...

Strongly agree... And it's especially so playing right here... [i heard that kid speaking 'perfect' SoCal English as I made my way down the street, btw...]

Sarah Mander said...

You should have a reality show.

John Johnson said...

This blog IS the reality show.
I'm enjoying it every week!