Sunday, March 30, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 30Mar2014

After the great time we'd had the night before, I couldn't resist coming down to try my luck again. Not as many people out, but still pretty good.

I hadn't been playing very long when up comes a lady and Captain Jack Sparrow. She asked me if Jack could come up and jam with me on harmonica. I was like, "Wait, what?" I guess it was the last thing I was expecting, so it took me a while to parse that request, but then I said, "Sure!" and she waved him over. He dug around in his waist pouch and came up with an A harp, so I fired up some 12-bar blues in A, and he started wailing -- and he was really good, too! Some really strange things have happened down on that corner, but jamming with Captain Jack has to be the most surreal thing I've ever done.

A high school kid walked right up to me, spun around and held up his phone to take a selfie video with me in the background, singing "Sounds of Silence". I could see myself in his screen. I don't know where that video's going to end up, but it was fun.

A family came by with a little four-year-old girl and her little brother. I played "Twinkle Twinkle" and "Itsy Bitsy" and "Rubber Duckie" and some more for them. After a few songs she exclaimed, "He's playing *music*!" Why, yes I am. Thanks for noticing!

A teenage girl with her little brother in tow sat on the bench for a long time. I asked if they were waiting for a ride or something, but no, she was listening to me sing. She said she loved all these songs, and said that I must love these "old songs", too. I told her, no, I'm just that old!


No comments: