Sunday, March 16, 2014

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 16Mar2014

I had such a great night at Spectrum on Saturday night, I couldn't resist trying my luck again on Sunday in Laguna. And I wanted to see if the afternoon "beach crowd" would be a better bet than the evening crowd we usually play for, so went down at 2:30.

And yup, there were lots of people out, but most of them were all on their way to something and didn't slow down much. But those that did were very friendly. I had half a dozen people come up to tell me I have a "lovely voice" and similar comments. One guy and then a whole extended family came up to tell me that they'd seen me the night before at Spectrum. I remembered the grandparents sitting and smiling for a long time the night before, and since they knew want to expect, they just settled in on the bench and made several requests. The teenage grand-daughter decided to buy a CD, and asked me to autograph it. Sweet.

At one point, there was a big family standing over by the ice cream store, and a twenty-something daughter came over and just said "Excuse me!" right in the middle of a song, so I stopped, and she asked me to play "Always On My Mind" for her parents over there. I'm happy to do that, but usually people wait until a break between songs to put in a request. I guess she was just really done with that previous song...

Later in the evening, a dad with several little girls came by, so, since I had had such great luck inviting the kids up onto the stage the night before, I asked if anyone knew the words to "Let It Go", and the dad sent one little girl over. She stood in front of me didn't sing a word or move a muscle through the whole song, much to her dad's amusement. Stage fright I guess.

A nice group of tourists came by and asked me to play "Carolina In My Mind", but since it was the day after Saint Patrick's Day, one of the ladies asked me to play an Irish song first. The only one I know is "Danny Boy", which I sing a cappella in my car on the way to gigs as a warm up, because it starts very low and goes very high. So I fired it up, but I've never played it on guitar, so I had to just completely fake the guitar chords for it, and not terribly successfully. But I kept the guitar pretty quiet and powered out the vocal, so maybe they didn't notice much...

No comments: