Friday, March 28, 2014

Keith at Irvine Spectrum -- Friday, 28Mar2014

I had high hopes 'cuz of the nice Spring weather, but it was pretty slow. Had a great on-stage "Let It Go" sing-along right at the beginning, with a batch of kids and their camera-toting parents. This is definitely a winning strategy.

But, as I'd feared might happen sometimes, some kids take the opportunity to choose songs as a license to take over the show. I had some boys decide to do that this time, and their parents were nowhere to be found (some parents take me for a babysitter). So after playing some of their requests, I had to just ignore them and play songs that I wanted to, and try to bore them away. I can tell the difference between a legitimate request and a kid who just wants to make the adult "dance", and I'm not getting paid enough to stand here being abused, thank you.

An old friend from Trailmates came by and sat to listen and watch the kids for a long time. His daughter appeared after a while and they had me play "Waltzing With Bears", with them singing along like the old days. And later on a teenage girl came by and asked me if I used to play for the Indian Princesses. It's a very niche fame I've got...

I was just about to call it a night, and played "Wonderful Tonight" as my last number, and a middle-aged couple came running up to slow dance to it. That was sweet.

No comments: