Sunday, June 30, 2013

Keith at Foothill Ranch Towne Center -- Sunday, 30June2013

Three gigs in a row: Three and a half hours on Friday in Laguna, five and a half more on Saturday at Spectrum, and then three more hours on Sunday. The tips of my left-hand fingers were hamburger, and those last twenty minutes were excruciating. But the show must go on...

I played this place a couple of times two summers ago, and it's a strange environment because it's so echoey under that rotunda. This time was a little better, because now I'm entirely wireless, so I could walk out to the other side of the space and see what it sounded like. Basically, there's too much natural reverb already, so I had to turn off the reverb effect in my rig.

Started off with just one small family, but then an older couple came by, got some lunch, and then sat at the table right in front of me -- the one that most people avoid like the plague. The lady said, "I'm gonna sit right here, so I can hear you!" I'm pretty sure she coulda heard me from anywhere in the place, but whatever.

I gave her a song list to read through, and after a few songs she looked up and asked, "Do you take checks?" She figured that each request cost a dollar, and since she was gonna ask for five songs, and didn't have the cash, she was gonna write me a check for five bucks. I told her that that wasn't necessary, that I'd play whatever she wanted without any "payment", but she was determined. I played her songs (which turned into six, in all), and then she decided to buy a CD too, and ended up writing me a check for $11. Thanks?

Anyway, it was a perfect venue for me -- lots of young families to play kids' music for, and lots of older people who loved my song selections. I made really good tips, sold four CDs, and the gig actually pays money, so it was a great time and lucrative too.

The ancient Thai lady who runs the Thai food place kept coming out and telling me how great I sounded. So when I shut down at 3:00 and was starving, I went in and ordered some lunch. She gave me a two dollar discount.

1 comment:

Warren Allen said...

Winning...!