Saturday, June 01, 2013

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 01June2013

Jim couldn't make it again, so I got to play another Saturday with Warren. We managed to snag Greeter's Corner in front of the ice cream shop, and nobody obnoxiously loud was playing on the opposite corner, so we were in great shape. Except the ice cream shop has installed a new sound system and they can't turn the outside speakers off anymore, and there was a new kid manager who has decided that loud dance music sells ice cream.

Warren tried to reason with him, but it was mostly no use, so we had to just power through the distraction. It's OK from where I am, when I'm in a song, my monitor speaker is louder than the shop's music, but I worry about what it sounds like for people who are situated in between my amp and theirs.

Anyway, we had a pretty good night. We were surprised to see a pair of *very* tall girls, totally dressed and made up and on 6-inch heels, who had apparently come down to have their mom (also very tall) take pictures of them. I offered to let them borrow my top hat, which they did, but insisted that I join them in the picture, too. It's a good thing that I had my cowboy boots on, or I'd'a been the shortest one in the picture.

There's a nice little old foreign guy named Sid, who drives a taxi and started parking (illegally) nearby so he could listen to us while watching the taxi to see if anyone approached it, whereupon he'd jump up and run over to let them in. He did this all through last fall and winter, and is clearly a big fan (and friend) of ours. We hadn't seen him for a while, but he showed up and saw the 4 CDs that I'd put out. He came over and asked if I had any more, which I didn't, so he got out a twenty and bought them all. Apparently, he's been playing the CD in his taxi, and people love it and want to buy it from him, so he needed some inventory! Who'd'a thunk?

Anyway, Saturdays are always pretty good. I could have done without the new distraction of the loud ice cream store music, but at least it wasn't Sanchez. And we brought in $45, plus the twenty for the CDs. Not bad.

1 comment:

John Johnson said...

A new distribution channel!
Better lock it down before Geffen gets wind of it.