Saturday, March 14, 2015

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Saturday, 14Mar2015

We played pretty ineffectually on the Fingerhut corner until the Tommies relinquished the "Good side" at 9:20. Once we were up and running there, it was pretty great. Big crowds due to the record-breaking heat we've been having so lots of people to sing for.

A bachelorette party came through and one of the girls wanted her "professional singer" friend to sing "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid", so I got out the spare mic, and she sang herself until the friend gave up and salvaged the song by taking the mic from her.

Later on, some your people from Texas watched us intently for a long while, until the kid got the guts to come up and ask if he could sing "Hallelujah". I rewired the mics so that the wired one was going through the harmony box, but I could still come in if the kid needed saving. He was pretty good -- much enthusiasm. Part of the new "More is better" school of vocal filigree, though.

As it got late, there was a lull where there was literally no one there (usually there's at least a few bums), and not even anyone walking by, so we were just chatting. Finally a couple came by and the guy said, "Are you guys done or what?", and I said that we'd be happy to play if he was here to listen. He asked me to do my favorite song, so I did "Over the Rainbow". While I was doing that, at least eight more people showed up and stopped to listen. Pretty flattering to gather a nice little crowd from out of nowhere like that.

I really wish the Tommies weren't always bogarting the ice cream corner these days, but I have to admit that the 9-1 shift isn't all that bad.

No comments: