Friday, March 27, 2015

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Friday, 27Mar2015

We presume that Sanchez is blasting away every Thursday and Friday, but it's been quite a while since I've verified that. And yes; yes he is.

When he's there, the Tommies move down to the Tunnel where it's quiet enough that they can be heard. That left the ice cream corner empty, since, for some reason, Sanchez usually prefers the Fingerhut side. And he wasn't *all* that loud, so I went for it.

Problem was, a lot of bums were out. One guy was sleeping on the bench, and woke up to drunkenly tell me how great I am: "I love you, man"; "That's beautiful, man"; "That's not just music, that's *art*!"

And after a while, Rasta Ross decided to come over and work on his crocheted Jamaican hats, bracelets, etc. on my side, since, presumably, even he can't stand to listen to Sanchez for very long. With his backpack and craft supply bag, he takes up 3/4 of the bench, and when another homeless guy showed up, the entire bench was full.

But it seemed like, although this was the start of Spring Break week for some people, it being only Friday night, the anticipated crowd of tourists were all apparently on their way to the airport and not here yet. Everyone looked to be locals, and on their way somewhere, so nobody seemed to be ready to stop and sit down anyway.

There was a nouveau hippie guy and girl there, too, but they were polite enough to move to the side bench when they realized I was fixing to play. They had a sign out, but weren't directly hassling anyone for money. They were nicely appreciative of the music, and when I played "Rocky Mountain High", the guy came over to tell me that he didn't have any money, but he wanted to at least high-five me for making a pair of Colorado hippies' day.

No comments: