Monday, March 30, 2015

Keith in Laguna Beach -- Monday 30Mar2015

Spring Break! We can go down on a Monday and have a pretty great crowd. Happily, no Sanchez, and no Tommies! We did have Rastaman Ross on the bench the whole night, but he wasn't taking up too much of it.

Lots of families, so lots of kids. I must have played "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" half a dozen times. A little girl from Chicago came up to sing "Let It Go" with me, but she didn't actually know the words. Cute anyway.

I was playing "I'm Yours" for some teenagers when a kooky face-painted hippie/gypsy lady came running across the street to yell "I love this song!" and crazily dance to it. Never seen her before, and she was a little too much for the tourists, but she was fun to have around for a while.

Later on, a huge group of vacationers came by -- must have been 25 people. Two of the girls were having birthdays, so we sang the song, and tried to shoehorn both names in. It got confusing because there were so many conflicting requests coming in at once. It turned into a dance party with "Brown Eyed Girl" and some of the teens wanted to sing along with "Part of Your World" from "The Little Mermaid". After 6 or 8 songs, a little girl wanted to hear "Beauty and the Beast", which is a pretty song and all, but it just completely brought the party to a halt, and all but the little girl and her mom decided it was time to move on. I'm going to have to be more judicious when asked to do a song that I know isn't conducive to the existing vibe.

Around 8:00, the kids from the ice cream shop came out and offered us some ice cream. I shouldn't really have any because dairy kludges up your singing parts, but it's yummy and free and sometimes I think it actually helps to coat my throat a little. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself as I eat it.

Later on, the kid came out again with a clear cup with some caramel-colored stuff in it with white foam on top. I didn't know what it was, and didn't have a chance to even try it until I was all done and packing up. Turns out it was some kind of coffee drink -- I don't really know 'cuz I don't drink anything coffee related. Sure surprised me, though -- they're not a coffee shop, so I had expected something caramel-ish, from the color. But thanks for the thought, guys...

Anyway, it was a great night. I love being able to be a part of the tourists' vacation memories, especially if there are kids to make it more special.

No comments: