Sunday, March 29, 2015

K&W in Laguna Beach -- Sunday, 29Mar2015

It's officially Spring Break, so we went down to see if the tourists had arrived. And they had.

I had to set up on the Fingerhut side, since the Tommies were on the ice cream side, of course. Even before I was entirely set up, a little girl who I know from my Santa Claus gigs showed up with her family. She's quite the firecracker, so I played a bunch of kids' songs for her, and she did her lyrics-miming dance moves. That attracted a lot of smiles from the passers-by, and I couldn't help but feel like I was finally competing with the Tommies' cute with some cute of my own.

Warren got there an hour later, and a friend of his with her friend from Romania came by. The Romanian friend wanted to hear "Pure Imagination", even though she'd never heard it, nor seen the movie. She just liked the name.

Pretty quick, the Tommies packed up, so we happily moved over to "the good side". It wasn't like a Saturday, but plenty of happy Spring Breakers came by to ask for songs. My super friendly Middle Eastern superfan came by and stayed for a long time, as he always does. He drives all the way down from The Valley just to hear me play. Wow.

Toward the end, the owner of the ice cream store came out with some visiting (from Iran, maybe?) relatives -- an older guy and a pretty young lady, maybe his niece. She wanted to hear "Hotel California", "Hey There, Delilah", and "Over the Rainbow". She was appreciative, and the ice cream guy was beaming, like a proud papa -- he loves having me there. I like to be on his good side, too, so I brought my last CD over to the lady and told her it was a present. I'm pretty sure ice cream guy snuck a twenty into my jar though, despite my insistence.

After we were all packed up and just chatting, a (pretty tipsy) couple came by and the guy said, "Hey, play me a song!" So I just fired up "Hotel California", since I have it memorized, and it was late enough to be quiet enough that they could hear me without the amp. They listened appreciatively, and he dug a bill out of his wallet and kind of balanced it on my gear. After they'd left, I discovered that it was a ten dollar bill -- a pretty good tip for one song.

No comments: